Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about the TTCS OSSWIN DVD 0.89
- What is this DVD about?
- The TTCS OSSWIN DVD 0.89 is a DVD that contains various Free and Open Source Software for the Windows platform. The DVD contains documentation about the programs on the DVD: a short introduction, key features and useful program related links, all done from a web based interface.
- Who made this DVD?
- This DVD was compiled by the Trinidad and Tobago Computer Society (TTCS). The TTCS did not create the software ; programs/applications are the creation of the individual authors.
- What is the purpose of this DVD?
- This DVD was designed to introduce users of the Windows® operating system to the world of Free and Open Source Software.
- Can I copy this DVD?
- Yes. The various software licences allow you to make and distribute copies of the programs on this DVD. The HTML pages that were created by TTCS are copyrighted under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.
- Can I lend this DVD to a friend?
- Yes. You can give/lend/copy/distribute this DVD to anyone.
- Where do I register the licences so that I can use the programs included on the DVD?
- You do not need to buy or register licences because all applications on the DVD are Free and Open Source Software. However, visit the home page(s) of the software you use to find out how you can contribute to the software.
- Can I use the programs included on this DVD for professional or commercial purposes?
- Yes. Free and Open Source Software licences allow you the freedom to use the programs on this DVD for professional and/or commercial purposes. There are no restrictions.
- What is the difference between the programs on this DVD and freeware?
- Freeware programs are considered "free" because the user is not required to pay a fee for continued use of the software. Source code is not included. The programs that are included on this CD: do not require a fee for continued use, they are fully functional, users are encouraged to distribute them and most important, their source code is freely available.
- Are there any other DVDs containing Free and Open Source Software software for Windows?
- There are several. Two popular ones are the TheOpenDisc and GNUWIN II. There is also an extensive list of Free and Open Source Software for Windows at The OSSwin project.
- What is "source code"?
- Source code is text written in a programming language that is used to create the program. All programs on this DVD are "Free and Open Source Software". Their source code is freely available for download, no strings attached. This makes it possible for persons (with the appropriate skills and desire) to improve, correct or change the program to suit their needs.
- Where can I get the source code for the software included on this CD?
- The source code is usually available on the Internet on the official program site. The link to the official program site is available on the description page for the program.
- Can I install the programs from this DVD on my Macintosh computer?
- No. These programs are designed for the Windows® operating system. You can use an Internet search engine e.g. www.google.com to find Free and Open Source Software for the Macintosh operating system.
- Can I install the programs from this DVD on my Linux computer?
- No. However, most of the programs included on this DVD were initially developed for GNU/Linux. Check the official program site. There maybe a version for your particular GNU/Linux distribution. If you have the skill, you can download the source code from the official site and compile it for your particular GNU/Linux distribution. The link to the official program site is available on the description page for the program.
- What version of Windows is needed to use the programs included on this CD?
- We are unable to test all applications on every available version of Windows® but user feedback suggests that the programs work best with the following versions of Windows®:
- Windows XP (Home and Pro)
- Windows 7
- Windows Vista
- Windows 2000
- The programs will not work with Windows 3.1 and may not function properly with Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition or Windows Me or Windows NT.
- Where can I get help if I have questions or problems?
- See our Help for Free and Open Source Software page
The TTCS OSSWIN DVD 0.89 webpages (the work), is copyrighted by the Trinidad and Tobago Computer Society (TTCS) and is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 Licence.
Every one of the Free and Open Source Software applications on this DVD is governed by its own licence.
This webpage was created at Monday July 01, 2013. You can email the TTCS at firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit the TTCS OSSWIN DVD page at http://www.ttcsweb.org/osswin-dvd/